10 Ways to Use ZUCCHINI!!!

Yes, the excessive exclamation points are there for a reason. I have an overly enthusiastic, never ending, borderline obsessive love for summer squash, aka zucchini. I don't seem to ever get sick of the stuff! Chock full of fiber, vitamins, and general veggie goodness, zucchini are incredibly versatile and delicious when prepared with care.

So here are some of my favorite ways to use zucchini. Which will come in handy for people like me on days like today when several friends give me all their extra zucchini. Yes, I have 25 zucchinis in my fridge. And I'm not the least bit concerned! Because....

You Can Use Zucchini in So Many Ways! Here are 10 For Starters:

1. Make a simple, yet super delicious pasta sauce: Peel, chop, and steam 2 cups of zucchini. Blend with 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of vegan butter (I use Earth Balance). Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over whole grain pasta and top with cut chives or scallions. Add a dash of paprika for color and viola! The perfect entree.

2. Have a LOT of zucchini and not sure you can use it all up in time? Lengthen their lives by dehydrating them! Zucchini chips are a delicious, nutritious snack and even kids flip for them! The recipe for "Zucchini Chips To Dry For" is from my first book, Radiant Health, Inner Wealth, and is also here on my blog.

3. Have a spiralizer? Make raw zucchini noodles! They're especially delish topped with vegan pesto (fresh basil, roasted pine nuts, xvoo, and plenty of garlic).

4. I've been doing this almost daily: Cut zucchini into slabs, then place on a cookie sheet. Top with seasoned salt, garlic granules, dry polenta, and pepper. Spray with olive oil and bake at 400 F until browned on both sides (you will have to flip them midway). This usually takes about 10 minutes per side.

5. For a super simple wrap, steam zucchini (or make some "Anna's Zucchini" from Radiant Health, Inner Wealth) and place in a sprouted grain tortilla. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, pepper, and a bit of Daiya vegan cheese. Sounds odd, but I find it ODDLY addictive. ;-)

6. Grate up some zucchini and squeeze the water from it. Combine it with grated or mashed potatoes, cornmeal, and spices. Pan-fry for zucchini potato latkes.

7. These September Surprise Muffins are one of my daughter's favorites. Even the frootloop-eating kids at her school were begging for seconds!

8. Zucchini are a crucial component in veggie fajitas. Chop them up, add some spices, and pan-fry along with mushrooms, onions, and red bell peppers. Roll them up in a sprouted tortilla along with beans, fresh salsa, and guacamole. Satisfaction!

9. Grilled zucchini is my love child. Why, do you ask? Because. Because I love it so much it hurts. To make this painfully delicious treat, brush zucchini slabs with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic, and sea salt. Grill until very tender. Eat plain - you don't want anything else up in your business at this point.

10. Grate raw zucchini into salads and veggie wraps.

Yes, I could go on and on! But I won't. Instead, I will post this and let you get on with the important work of making zucchini happiness part of your own life. Happy zucchiniing! (it's a word)

1 comment:

  1. Tess, I made Anna's Zucchini, threw it on some multigrain bread with Trader Joe's three layer hummus and it was amazing!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete