Radiant Health, Inner Wealth. The recipe in RHIW calls for barley, but I'm loving it with this quinoa variation! I recently demonstrated this at a local health food store, and everyone was really impressed with how delicious it was, given how healthy and easy to make it is!
Raw Moroccan Quinoa Spinach Toss
I could live on this stuff! It’s fat-free, raw, nourishing, easy to make, and tasty! If you haven’t guessed yet by now, I’m a big fan of Moroccan seasonings—sweet, tart, and savory all at once. Yum!
1 cup dry quinoa, soaked overnight, then rinsed and drained well
1 teaspoon each: ground cumin and minced organic orange zest
¾ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
4 teaspoons each: fresh lemon juice and very finely minced onion
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons raw agave nectar
½ cup raisins
1 cup (packed) baby spinach, cut into very thin ribbons or minced
Fresh mint, minced (about 1½ tablespoons)
Sea salt to taste (even I don’t salt this one, though!)
1. If you haven’t yet soaked the quinoa, you will need to do that first.
2. Stir the sauce ingredients together in a medium sized bowl until well combined.
3. Add the quinoa, raisins, and spinach to the sauce and toss to thoroughly combine.
4. Allow the mixture to marinate for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to saturate the sauce into everything. If you do have the time to marinate this for an hour, that’s even better.
5. After the dish has finished marinating, you can add the mint and/or some salt if you like. If you have leftovers, this will keep for a few days in an airtight container, refrigerated.
Serves about 4-6
GF/SF/Green (according to the health guidelines in my books)