Buddhaful Blue Skillet Cornbread
2 tablespoons flax meal (ground flaxseed)
1/4 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1-1/3 cups nondairy milk
1/3 cup oil (non-virgin olive, melted coconut, or sunflower)
1 cup each: blue cornmeal and whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup organic sugar (optional for sweet cornbread)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon each: sea salt and baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Place a large iron skillet in the oven to warm it while you're making the cornbread.
2. Flegg out. How, you ask? Simply combine the flaxseed meal with the boiling water in a small bowl and stir. Set aside for at least 5 minutes, or until gooey.
3. In another small bowl, combine the vinegar and milk (this will become your "buttermilk"). The vinegar/milk bowl will also need to be in time out for five minutes - same as the flegg. They can talk amongst themselves if they get bored.
4. In the meantime, combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk or stir well, until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
5. Combine the flegg with the vinegar/milk mixture. Stir well, then whisk in the oil. Once the wet ingredients (and flegg) are very well combined, stir into the dry mixture. Combine well, but do not over-mix.
6. Remove the skillet from the oven (using good hot pads) and spray or coat lightly it with oil. Pour the batter into the skillet and smooth out the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!
Makes 10 servings/SF/Blue (but of course)
("Blue" is a health guideline that is used in Radiant Health, Inner Wealth)